Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Unspoken Tragedies/ Being a Survivor


The buzz of the Penn State cover-up is now dying down. Many people do not agree that Joe Paterno should have been fired. But most people can agree that the recent events at Penn State (that shocked the Nation) were heart wrenching as were the acts of Jerry Sandusky. As sad as these event are, hopefully it will be the catalyst for positive change especially when it comes to protecting America’s children.

I have NOT shared my views of Penn State openly because I did not want to offend others. Recently I went to an open forum hosted by the Baltimore Child Abuse Center and realized how important it is for the general public to be educated about child abuse and proper reporting. In addition, it is tantamount that survivors speak up and let victims know that they are not alone and that there is life after abuse (Thank you Oprah and Tyler Perry). Saying that you are a survivor of child abuse is not an issue of trying to relive past wrongs but changing society’s view of victims as damaged goods. Perhaps over time empathy will become one of America’s core values and we can create an environment for healing and change.

I like so many others am a survivor. I am claiming my voice for all those who can not speak up. I will not publically disclose the names of those who abused me and have no desire to hurt those closest to me. I just want people to know that living in silence will kill you and that it takes courage beyond measure to speak out. My heart goes out to the Penn State victims. I know what it is like to have your life torn apart by a trial. I hope that once the cameras are off, the verdicts are in, and the guilty have been punished that they will find the healing, support, and understanding that they need to move their lives forward and someday emerge on the other side to embrace all the goodness life has to offer. May all of our hearts be with them! This is my fervent wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment