Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Does what I do matter?


The question is “does what we do matter?” I stopped writing on my blog in December 2009. Now it is almost May 2010. There are so many reasons that I stopped writing. But in a nut shell I got disheartened and then I allowed life to get in the way. I kept asking if anybody cared that I was writing. With only one follower, I assumed the answer was, “No.” However, in retrospect I was asking the wrong questions. What was behind the question of “does what I do matter” was an even larger question of “do I matter?” I have come to the conclusion that the answer is “Yes.” Recently, my hospice patient passed away. She was a stay at home Mom and I loved to listen to her stories of raising her girls in their formative years. Before she passed away she gave me the recipe to Strawberry Banana Pie which I made this spring for my children. They loved it! Even Scott loved it. Strawberry Banana Pie has become a staple at our table and in our lives. My hospice patient mattered and every time I eat that pie, I will think of her and her legacy will be remembered; which brings full circle to my blog postings. It does not matter if the world reads my blog or not. What matters is that it is a way of saying I was here. My blog and the things I write for my kids is my Strawberry Banana Pie. So I am delighted that I am remembered by at least one follower and that my 3 adoring children will remember that I was here. And for that I matter.

4 comments:

  1. Jena,

    I am glad you wrote this post! I had no idea that you were blogging. I am definitely adding your feed to my RSS reader. What you do matters. What everyone does matters. Sometimes you don't get to hear the impact, or see the impact, but it is ther. Like the flutter of a butterfly's wings, your action or inaction has a ripple effect. Do what you feel is right.

    The photos of you and your family are wonderful! I was in DC last year for the cherry blossom festival, and wish I could have gone this year. Maybe we can plan a bit of a reunion with you, Scott, and the boys with me and Mary Ann in DC. What do you think?

    Keep on keepin' on!

    -Brian (Norm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena!

    You have to write because it the modern age and just like books out electronic thoughts will persist within zeros and ones. Oh, and you have friends that still like reading your view of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have alot more than 1 follower reading....I wonder how many more are not registered, but visit your blog like me. You definitely matter. Only god knows how many lives you have already and will continue to touch......and that is truely all that matters.
    You matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jena: That was soooooo beautiful - and soooooooo much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
    Your writing and your kindness mean more than you'll ever know. Who you are sooooooooo matters!!!!!

    Thank you so much for making the strawberry/banana/graham-cracker-crust/whipped cream pie in our Mom's honor!!!!! That was totally touching!!!!!

    From Janie: The youngest daughter of your hospice patient -- our precious Mom, Lorraine Colao.

    Thank you for being our Mom's visiting angel!!! Your gentle and sweet presence meant more to me and to Mom than you will ever know. (Then again, I think you do know.) ;)
    I am soooooo glad we met and connected in Hospice -- through the training, and through your becoming my Mom's volunteer. It's in my blood now -- Hospice of the Chesapeake -- and Mandrin House. I will def. see you around the campus!

    It was so awesome to be at the volunteer luncheon, and to reconnect with you and everyone at Hospice! And to get to see the last picture of you with our Mom! Touching beyond belief. Thanks so much for hanging out with me, individually, for a good 2+ hours afterwards! Your listening ear and heart meant more than you'll ever know. And so did hearing YOUR stories about our precious Mom, from YOUR perspective, as her volunteer angel.

    Yes, Jena, your writing does indeed matter. YOU SO MATTER, DEAR ONE!!!!!
    LOVE YOU!!!!!
    Janie
    God bless you! <3

    Love and Hugs,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete