Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2009

Ambassadors of Race Relations

My husband and I are watching the last couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica together. It has been a gripping science fiction series; mostly attributed to its great writing and plot lines. The show deals with deep controversial issues such as God and Religion. But another subplot running through the show is the idea of race relations and a biracial child. The writers have been putting a lot of emphasis on the half human half cylon child that they proclaim to be the hope for the future. This story line is not new. It is reminiscent of the Star Child in V. This makes me ask what the writers are trying to tell us about race relations in our own culture. The biracial issue touched a nerve for me because I am one of the 4.9 million biracial Americans in the US. As a child, I always struggled with my identity and a sense of belonging. I am Latino and White. However, today I face the biracial issue more then ever as I go out with my blonde haired, blue eyed daughter who is a carbon copy of her Dad and looks nothing like me. At least once a day, someone will ask, “is she your daughter?” People are down right surprised that someone with dark skin can mother someone so fair. Although annoyed at these seemingly insensitive questions in the beginning, I now feel that this dialog is opening up the lines of communication between races. This is the type of conversation that needs to take place for there to be a continued healing of our nation. There is no doubt that biracial children are the hope for the future. Their very essence will break down the walls between the races not by them choosing sides but by the virtue of their blendedness and healthy sense of self. Being biracial is so special because the children of biracial couples are the product of love between the races that transcends past prejudices. Biracial children are the rich fruit of the melting pot of our nation. It appears to me that Battlestar Galactica, like many science fiction shows before it (Star Trek included), are dealing with what could happen if we could rise to our better selves. For now, my daughter Athena and I are content to do our part in promoting the healing process as we hop-scotch around the community doing our everyday errands and being an inspiration of what is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment