Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Back to basics


My torn rotator cuff put me out of the game since January. I have been unable to exercise. Over time my habits changed, my life became more sedentary and my body became soft. This had devastating effects on my self-esteem and I became depressed. I had lost my balance and my edge. Contrary to what you might think, this downward spiral was not all ego based. As I once learned in Karate our lives must be balanced, “Body, Mind and Spirit” for us to be the wonderful creatures that we were meant to be. Balance in these 3 areas puts us in accord with the universe and all goodness flows from that. The Bible even holds that our body is the temple of God. If this is indeed the case, then everything that we do in life starts with our core being. Therefore it was back to basics for me. This week has been devoted to my center. In order to do this, I started practicing yoga again and the effects on my psyche in just one week have been astounding. I am standing straighter, my posture is better, my self confidence is back and I am happy and centered. I know that this is just the beginning but “the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.” I have committed to myself to do Yoga every day for 30 days. I am on day seven. Every part of my body aches with pain but I am relishing the feeling of soreness knowing that I am transforming inside and out. As they say, “all is well with my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment