Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The First Day of Kindergarten


Going off to kindergarten is one of the many pivotal events in a child’s life. Aug 27th was, our son, Zefram Cochrane’s first day of Kindergarten. As with all things he is filled with exuberance and enthusiasm for this new milestone. Zefram by nature is a happy child. He is the quintessential “Tigger.” This is a fantastic approach to the world; but as a care giver of a child that bounces off the walls 24/7 like a super ball it can be overwhelming, leaving you exhausted by the end of the day. Therefore, it will come as no surprise that I am filled with adulation and joy as Zefram takes this huge step into the real world and is gone till 3:30PM each weekday. Admittedly, my life will be easier with Zefram in school because he is like having four children in one body.

However this adulation is tempered with the fact that we have been through the kindergarten routine before. Zefram is my middle child. Every milestone that he reaches with such glee is something that his older brother has already accomplished. Thus it is hard to get excited because (as parents) we have already experienced the event for the first time with our older son. From the parent perspective, it feels like there is nothing different or special about this event. It is easy to fall into a “been there done that” approach. Nevertheless, Zefram deserves our jubilation and if we can not muster excitement for him then we should let his energy and delight set the tone for the day.

As Zefram crawled into my lap (as he does every morning) I am struck by the warmth and affection that he emanates on a daily basis. Zefram gives the best hugs and I love his smile. He talks cheerfully of school and getting on the bus. He is not scared one bit. I hold him tightly to me, I am struck by how grown up he has become yet how he still needs me in his life. I wonder if that is how God feels about us.

To make the first day of Kindergarten extra special for Zefram we all walk to the bus stop as a family. As we walked, Zefram skipped and danced ahead of us down the quarter mile road. There is no doubt that Zefram is an extraordinary child and has so much to offer the world. I am blessed that he is my son. He teaches me about happiness and tolerance. As I wave the final good-bye to the School bus, I hope that he will enjoy the 2 cookies in his lunch and the picture of the rocket that signifies all his dreams taking off. In my head, I am already contemplating how I will welcome him home when he returns. But what strikes me more then anything is the over abundance of love I have for him. He is my middle child but as William Young said in his book the Shack,” I am especially fond of him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment