Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2009

Rich in Cookies


I met Nancy before Mass at All Souls Episcopal Church in DC. She made an impression on me. Nancy commented that she would never be rich but thanked God for all the blessings in her life. The irony is that Nancy is truly rich in blessings. What makes her so rich is the kindness she gives away. After lunch at Open City Cafe on 24th street, Nancy pulled out this big Tupperware filled with cookies. She proceeded to send the dish around the table. It was filled with delicious sugar cookies with a fruit preserve. She also took out little valentines bags and encouraged everyone to take as many home as they wanted. Each cookie was the size of a man’s fist and was tantalizing to the taste buds. One bite made you feel like you were in your Grandmothers kitchen. On the way back to the church, I asked Nancy about her baking. She said that she loves to bake but she and her husband Lawrence are the only 2 people at home and so she gives away her baked goods. That way she can continue to bake. I admired Nancy and her generosity. It made me think about what each of us could give away to show love. What is your ministry? Sometimes it is the simple things. Nancy’s ministry is cookies. She gives away her gifts and changes the world one cookie at a time; And, I dare you not to smile when you are eating one of her delicious cookies.

2 comments:

  1. It is always the little things that make a difference in peoples lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had some of Nancy's cookies--yumm! Nancy is a treat to be sure and I think it's great that you had a good experience at All Souls; I know they enjoyed your company.

    ReplyDelete