Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Big Brother Blessings



Gratefulness can come in so many ways. I found myself thanking my son Alex on the way back from a family field trip yesterday to Port Discovery. I told him how proud of him I was of him; I am so elated that he is responsible which makes it easier to go different places without Daddy. I told him how much I depended on him and how he is a blessing to my life. He quietly said thank you and you could hear him glowing with pride as he said the words. He indeed had been a big help. He had every reason to be proud of himself. Alex had helped me out in a crises situation-totally rising to the occasion. He had helped me find his four year old brother Zefram after Zefram had wondered off for greener pastures to play in. Things like this can happen so fast and if you are one of those parents that say it will never happen to you—I guarantee that the first time you loose a child it can be very humbling. Events such as these can happen within seconds; Yesterday was no exception. I was distracted and that is all it took. Athena had decided to express her two year old rights as we left the water room. She melted into a full fledged temper tantrum like a rag doll and everyone turned to look at her in the usual way. I looked up and saw that both Alex and Zefram were safe drying off and then returned my focus to my discontented child. I put all of my emphasis on her blocking out everything else in the room. In the space of a minute, Zefram was out the door and gone. I looked feverishly for him to no avail and after going through the room for the 7th time it was evident that he wasn’t there. I could feel the panic simmering in my belly and I told Alex to go search the floor for Zefram as I talked to one of the employees. A few minutes later, Alex came back pulling an uncooperative Zefram behind him. Alex, at 7 years old, had saved the day proving that he could be responsible beyond his years. I am so grateful to him.

A few key take always that I learned yesterday were:

Take a picture of your child when you go out to a crowded place with your cell phone so that you can remember what he is wearing.
Write your cell phone # on your child’s arm if he is too young to remember it.
Like our parents, always designate a place to meet if you get lost. Although this works for older children, reminding a child that they can not leave a specific section without you is helpful—At least in Zefram’s case.

No comments:

Post a Comment