Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Family History in 87 Year Old Table


Family history is so very important; just as important as the things that will be remembered in the history books. Thomas Carlyle said, “History is the essence of innumerable biographies.” Our personal history is what gives our lives structure and meaning. Last night I spoke to Grandma Kollar about the dinning room table that she gave us after our first child was born. Over the years ,we have become so accustomed to seeing the dinning room table that the Cochrane Family sometimes loose s the significance of what it means. Our dinning room table is over 87 years old! The table came with the first house that my Great-Grandparents bought in Cincinnati Ohio when they came from Italy in 1920. It was the table that the DiTommaso ate at, did their homework on, and entertained dignitaries from the Italian Consulate. It was the center of their universe and they used for everything. In the evenings the table was transformed into a formal setting with linens and candles. Mr. DiTommaso always sat at the head of the table and Emilia at the foot. The first born son sat to the right of his father and the other children filled the additional seats. Sometimes the table was transformed into a bingo parlor with fun for all. As a little girl, some of my earliest memories where of this legendary table; like my grandmother and my mother before me, I used to love to sit on the decretive claw feet of the table; something my children now enjoy doing this too—and it always makes me smile. Over the years I have developed my own special memories around this table. This is the table that we sat around when our loved ones passed away, it is the table we raised our glasses at when our children were born, and it is the table that we signed our contract for our current house on. We are so blessed to have this table in our midst that connects us to our rich family history. Someday our three children will share these incredible memories as well. For now, they are happy to play on the claw feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment